Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Designer Q&A: Joy Hockensmith


Meet Joy, the designer behind jewelry line Be Joyful. Her fun and unique rings, earrings, and necklaces can be found in the shop. Read on to find out more about how she got her start, her favorite trends,  and what she has next for Be Joyful!


Introduce yourself
 

Joy Hockensmith

How did you get started? 
I started making jewelry when I was young. My Mother had an extensive jewelry collection and would ask me to fix the broken pieces. Sometimes pieces could not be fixed and that left me with the challenge of making them into something useful so that they can continue to be enjoyed. I learned silversmithing at The Art Center.

What are you up to now? 
I just finished a bunch of “love” necklaces for Vitae’s Valentine’s promotion. I’ll be making polymer flowers to add to pieces I’ll have for spring.


What statement is a person making when wearing your clothes? 
When someone is wearing my jewelry, their statement is that they enjoy quality and creativity. I make many pieces in many styles, so the purpose may vary from fun to formal, whimsy to high fashion, but with the commonality that it is always unique. I’m always honored to learn of brides wearing my jewelry, I love that I have somewhat shared in their special day.

How do you define style/What is your personal fashion/style philosophy? 
Style is how one wants to portray themselves. My personal style? J. Crew meets Bollywood. I love classic New England, but love the texture and artistry of Asian fabrics. My philosophy regarding fashion is the less you care about trends, the more they seem to follow you.

Your top style essentials are…? 
Good shoes, good purse, nice coat.

What’s in and what’s out? 
IN:  I heard emerald green is Pantone’s color of the year. I like green.

Where do you see your line in 5 years? 
Where do I see my stuff in 5 years? Hopefully on everyone!

Favorite Current Trend? 
My favorite current trend is that our youth is less confined to it. I love that our young people are so much more encouraged to find and display their own style. Makes me very hopeful for the future.

Trend that you are sick of/could do without/overexposed? 
Neon reminds me of summers in the 80’s. I’m over that. There is no need for neon in my world.

Your collection/brand in 3 words? 
Happy. Thoughtful. Different

Vitae is… 
Vitae is part boutique, part art gallery. They offer a wonderful collection for someone seeking quality product that is truly unique.

Des Moines is… 
small pond, big fish, but we have a really nice pond and some really awesome fish

What’s next for you? 
I am looking forward to the opportunity to branch out to other markets in other states

How can readers contact you? 

No comments: