Search This Blog

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Designer Q&A: Melissa Speridon




Meet Melissa, the designer behind Pink Revolver. She is great to talk to, funny and down to earth. You can find her jewelry and vintage inspired designs at the shop. Read on to find out how she got started, what she thinks of Des Moines, and what she’ll be up to next with Pink Revolver.


Introduce yourself
My name is Melissa Speridon. I am from Minnesota, grew up there. I went to a 2 year school in Minneapolis and took the design program there. I have always loved fashion. I have always aspired to do something artistic and make it into a career. I fell into that program and it taught me the basics of everything I needed to know to get started. It really groomed people into becoming small designers. All the professors there were doing something within the industry. I came to Iowa a few years later and fell into a vintage store. That kind of molded my design ideas and helped me find out what kind of niche I wanted to go into. Later, I met Julie and business ideas kept coming up. We kept pushing each other and it just kind of happened. It evolved from a tiny booth in the east village to our store, Vitae Design Collective. 

How did you get started?
I came up with the label first. Everything I like to do has a rough but feminine edge. Sometimes it is a little loud, but essentially wearable, nothing too crazy. I remember sitting around with my boyfriend and came up with the label name. It just made sense to me. Pink Revolver. It just came from there. I love a lot of fabrics from the 60s and 70s. I love that whole era of freedom, the movements, and experimentations. I was always drawn to that. That is how my designs are influenced. 


What are you up to now?
Jewelry! Earrings, and maybe someday necklaces and rings. I also really like outerwear. I love jackets. I recently made some cowl scarves to go with the accessories line. 

What statement is a person making when wearing your pieces?
They want to stand out and they want to wear something unique or maybe even a little loud. A lot of the things I think of are comfortable but stylishly comfortable. I like to choose fabrics that are really wearable. I like to make things that are more than just a black jersey dress, but are comfortable and still make a statement. 

How do you define style? What is your personal fashion/style philosophy? 
I would say it is similar to my line, because everything I make I would want to wear. I also think layers are good! I like comfort, stripes, and floral. Since I am a mother with two young children, I like things that aren’t too constraining. And boots with everything! That’s what I reach into my closet for on a day to day basis.

Your top style essentials are…?
-          Black flat, soft, industrial styled boots
-          Leggings
-          Tall socks
-          Grandpa sweaters/cardigans. I love them! 

What’s in and what’s out?
IN: Genuine kindness, love for humanity, and interest in other people! That is always in!
OUT: Sweatpants and Uggs. Oh, and Riding boots and skinny jeans. I know some people still like wearing them, but everybody wears them!

Where do you see your line in 5 years?
I feel like I am pushing myself more towards custom and accessories. I am trying to stay away from so many vintage inspired looks and trying to find more trendy classics. Outerwear and accessories is what I am looking towards.
 
Favorite Current Trend?
I love drape-y sweaters. You can always look so cute and put together in flow-y, chunky, or thin sweaters.

Trend that you are sick of/could do without/overexposed?
Again, the Riding boots and skinny jeans. And colored denim!

Your collection/brand in 3 words?
Funky. Comfort. Affordable.

Vitae is…
The coolest store in Des Moines!!

Des Moines is…
Growing wiser everyday.

What’s next for you?
Trying to stick to some solid styles to represent my line.

How can readers contact you?
E-mail: vitaedesigncollective@gmail.com 

No comments: